About Me

My photo
After getting my first passport in 2006 and traveling to climb Kilimanjaro in Tanzania my life changed. I began the process of getting rid of all my possessions and traveling the world. Traveling to over 125 countries and all 7 continents, hostels have been my home. This "new life" has taught me what is important and it was NOT accumulating money or possessions. Traveling is the best education. I hope my blog will encourage others to travel. My World Tattoo was a way for me to express my PASSION FOR TRAVEL.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Ferry to Juneau and New Hostel

6/16/11

Early 7 am ferry to Juneau. We saw about 15 killer whales playing around, though not too close, and a couple of humpback whales. I think the ferry rides from town to town see as much whale action as the whale tours that are expensive. After arriving at the Juneau ferry terminal, 14 miles from town, decided to walk the two miles to the bus stop rather than paying $30 for taxi to Juneau. Beautiful day and saw an eagle in the tree along the road.Made it to the hostel at 4 pm but the hostel does not open until 5 pm.

I have never seen a hostel like this one. It is a beautiful large house and they only charge $10 per night for the dorm bed. You must sign up to do one chore a day to help keep costs down. You must leave at 9 am every morning and cannot get back in until 5 pm. (this is a lockout)  Many hostels have a lockout for a few hours to cleans but never seen one all day. A good way to make u get up and do something. Will either hike today or spend day in library posting many pictures I have to upload.

Juneau's scenery is BREATHTAKING. It is called "little San Francisco".

No comments:

Post a Comment